Working location: Shanghai, China & London, UK
Responsible to: Managing Director
Works closely with
Internal: Managing Director, Finance Director, Producers, Creative Producer, Head of Communications, Creative and production teams
External: Stakeholders on international projects in Asia, including Sleep No More in Shanghai and other opportunities in Asia
Manages:Freelance production assistants, show specific production teams
Formed in the UK by Felix Barrett in 2000, Punchdrunk has pioneered a game-changing form of immersive theatre in which roaming audiences experience epic and emotional storytelling inside sensory theatrical worlds. Blending classical texts, physical performance, award-winning design installation, and unexpected sites, the company’s infectious format rejects the passive obedience usually expected of audiences. Our award-winning productions invite audiences to rediscover the childlike excitement and anticipation of exploring the unknown and experience a real sense of adventure. The company’s international production, Sleep No More, celebrated eight years of its extended run in New York, USA in 2019 and in 2016 opened a new version in Shanghai with co-producers SMG Live.
Punchdrunk recently announced a partnership with Niantic, the leading augmented reality company behind popular gaming experiences Ingress, Pokémon GO, and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite to develop the next generation of live experience. In September, The Third Day will broadcast on Sky Atlantic, NOW TV and HBO. A TV series created by artistic director of Punchdrunk Felix Barrett and writer Dennis Kelly, the project includes an theatrical live broadcast where viewers can follow the events of a single day on Sky Arts and online.
Punchdrunk’s award-winning productions include:
- Faust (in collaboration with the National Theatre, 2006)
- The Masque of the Red Death (in collaboration with BAC, 2008)
- Tunnel 228 (in collaboration with The Old Vic, 2009)
- It Felt Like A Kiss (with Adam Curtis and Damon Albarn, Manchester International Festival, 2009)
- Sleep No More (with the American Repertory Theatre, Boston, Mass., 2009)
- The Duchess of Malfi (with ENO, 2010)
- The Crash of the Elysium (Manchester International Festival, 2011)
- The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable (with the National Theatre, 2013)
- Kabeiroi (2018)
- Small Wonders (LIFT Festival 2018, Edinburgh International Children’s Festival 2019)
Since 2008, Punchdrunk has taken the company’s practice into communities, creating high quality, ambitious projects and productions for children, participants and the wider community. This includes public productions, research & development and enrichment work with teachers and
Key projects to date include schools projects The Lost Lending Library and A Small Tale, alongside Small Wonders, a production for 5-11 year olds and Against Captain’s Orders, a family adventure created in partnership with the National Maritime Museum, and Greenhive Green, which took place in a care home for older people including those with dementia.
Punchdrunk is looking for a talented and experienced Producer, with a minimum of five years relevant experience, to lead on its projects in Asia, including its phenomenally successful production of Sleep No More in Shanghai.
The role will be split between work in London and China (predominantly Shanghai) and divided between a focus on Sleep No More, Shanghai, and new works developed for Punchdrunk China, the company’s outpost in Asia.
Sleep No More, Shanghai
The Producer works across all areas of this complex and artistically led production, building and maintaining strong working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders and ensuring that all relevant aspects of the production are delivered at all times to the highest possible standard, including:
- Leading Project Strategy;
- Financial Management;
- Marketing & PR;
- Sponsorship; and
- General Management
Punchdrunk is actively pursuing new opportunities in Asia through Punchdrunk China – a newly formed company working with the team who built Sleep No More, Shanghai. This role will lead on the development of these opportunities through to full production and beyond. Areas of work will include:
- Managing and developing existing partnerships;
- Deal negotiation and contracting;
- Financial management and budget creation;
- Establishing team structures; and
- At least five years producing large scale, commercial shows in the entertainment industry;
- Significant experience in successfully developing and launching new production opportunities;
- Significant large-scale budget creation and ongoing financial management experience;
- Proven experience in strategic production planning and forward thinking;
- Success in overseeing marketing campaigns and the press and PR on a show;
- Experience negotiating and contracting production team members and artists, and of casting productions;
- Experience dealing with IP, copyright issues and artists agreements;
- Line management and recruitment experience;
- Experience of managing a long running show;
- Experience of working on international productions.
Knowledge & Skills:
- A passion for Punchdrunk’s work;
- A desire to add value to the organisation and act as an ambassador for Punchdrunk nationally and internationally;
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to manage a wide range of evolving project priorities;
- A pro-active approach, always aiming to be one-step ahead of the game;
- Collaborative and supportive approach, with excellent internal communications, knowing who to keep up to date and when;
- Excellent administrative skills, including use of Microsoft Office (particularly Excel);
- Flexibility in working evenings and weekends when required;
- A high level of diplomacy, and a calm collaborator;
- Confident and articulate working with commercial partners at a senior level;
- Understanding the needs of artists and an ability to instil confidence and gain trust;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Delegation skills and the ability to work with teams comprising varied skills and levels of experience;
- Interest in working in China and ability to split time equally between Shanghai and London for the duration of the contract.
- Experience of producing multi-disciplinary work;
- Experience of working in non-traditional performance spaces;
- Experience working with contemporary dance artists or physical theatre performers;
- Experience of working in China;
- Experience of managing several projects at different phases of development;
- Experience of developing new works from scratch.
This is a guide to the nature of the work required of the Producer (Asia). It is not wholly comprehensive and may be reviewed with the post holder and the line manager from time to time.
The role will be split between Shanghai, China, where our production of Sleep No More is playing, and at the company’s offices in London. There may be frequent needs to travel elsewhere within China. Fluent English is mandatory and Chinese of any level is a benefit though not required.
Candidates and should advise the company prior to interview of anything they believe would prevent them successfully gaining a visa to travel and work in China or elsewhere in Asia.
If you are called for an Interview you will be required to sign a Punchdrunk Non-Disclosure Agreement in advance of the meeting.
Summary of Terms
- 12-month fixed term contract
- 3-month probation (notice during probation 4 weeks on either side)
- 3-month notice period
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- Competitive benefits
- Place of work: Punchdrunk offices in Shanghai and London
- Direct report to Managing Director
- Due to the nature of this role some evening or weekend work will be required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your CV and a brief statement (maximum 2 A4 sides) describing your suitability for the position and specifically how your past experience matches the person specification.
Applicants should provide contact details for two professional references and we will seek your permission before making direct contact with any referees. Please note that it is likely we will seek to take up 1 reference for candidates progressing to second interview, prior to making an offer.
Please address your application to Rufus Olins and submit it by email to [email protected] by 12pm midday on Monday 24th August with “PRODUCER (ASIA)” marked in the subject line.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by Thursday, 27th August if they will be invited to first interview week commencing 31st of August. Second interviews are likely to take place later that week.
Please notify us if you cannot attend the specified interview dates at the time you submit your application. All offers of employment will be subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
As an Equal Opportunities Employer, Punchdrunk welcomes applications from all sectors of the community, regardless of gender, age, race, sexuality or disability and makes appointments based solely on ability to fulfil the duties of the post. Candidates who are shortlisted for interview will be given the opportunity to specify any access needs so that appropriate arrangements can be made.